Saturday, December 26, 2009

Does anyone know the LAW in Canada regarding the printing of full credit card numbers on receipts?

I just had a run-in with a gas station attendant when I scribbled through the middle digits of my card number. He informed me I could not do that. My understanding is that only a limited portion of the cc number is now printed so dumpster divers go unrewarded. Hmmm. Now I am unsure of the real truth.Does anyone know the LAW in Canada regarding the printing of full credit card numbers on receipts?
call your credit card company.Does anyone know the LAW in Canada regarding the printing of full credit card numbers on receipts?
I do not believe there are any restrictions on the numbers appearing on the receipt, for credit cards. That goes for Debit transactions too. Be really careful with your copy. Take it home and destroy it. All it takes is someone to see you enter your PIN and then pick your receipt from the trash.
Call one of the credit counselling agencies in your province. They will certainly know. In the US, it depends on individual state law. North Carolina only passed this law just last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment